Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Tastey" Tuesday

Yesterday I went to the clinic and my amazing nurse sprayed the live attenuated flu vaccine up my nose (get vaccinated!). On the way back to my building across campus I decided I was hungry and since the library is between the clinic and my building and has a cafe this seemed like a good choice. The problem with this location is that the sidewalk leading into the library is a "free speech zone", and is often populated by clubs/people pushing an agenda. It is potentially irritating enough under normal circumstances but as we are quickly approaching the season finally of the "reality" show that is this year's presidential election (November 4, 2008: Find out who the American people will give the rose to and who will get voted off the island. Obama wins the swim suit competition but there is something about a man in uniform...), this area is often infested with annoying politically minded individuals. What's a poor microbiologist to do you ask? Why what she does every night, try to take over the world... oh wait wrong show. The trick to making it through this area unbothered is to not make eye-contact, walk quickly, and look occupied. Luckily for me my wonderful nurse gave me the vaccine info sheet, so I suddenly became engrossed in "reading" it and made it past all of them unscathed. I almost lost it at the register to vote table, they had a hilarious poster thing with people shaped cardboard cut outs with black and white pictures of the candidates' faces stuck on the heads. I wanted to get a picture but there were people manning the table that smell attention just as sharks sense blood.

So I made it past the insanity sidewalk and went to the cafe. All the sandwiches looked gross* and so I decided to not bother with solid foods (I could totally have gotten a cookie, you should all be totally impressed with my healthy choice!) and went to look at the drinks. I found this "health" drink stuff and looked at all the weird juices and concoctions they had to offer while longingly thinking about the AE milk in the next cooler over (I am a milkoholic but need more than just dairy in my diet). I decided the "Chocolate Protein" drink looked the most useful and had the highest probability of being drinkable, plus I decided that it was probably something my dietitian would approve of since she was talking about me drinking ensure and stuff like it to replace meals I don't eat. I think Doc and I need to have a chit chat about the dietitian thing, not sure she is "what the doctor ordered". Perhaps if I go through with the follow up with her it will be more useful if I have more of an idea of what we are aiming at with my seeing her. I have very mixed and confused feelings/thoughts after my first visit with her. Some of it reminded me of the last time I "allowed" Doc to refer me, which was a disaster**.

I actually had warmed up to the idea of seeing her (shh don't tell Doc, it would ruin my reputation) and was hoping she might have had some suggestions of foods I could eat and not get as sick on but she didn't really. Most of the time was spent with my defending myself because she could only see parts of my chart and on paper without context I come off as the worst patient ever to plague a doctor and that I was a waste of his time and hers and she was a waste of mine. But then she switched a bit and wants me to follow up next month, my sucking up to try and get her to not hate me and not think I am a total waste of everyone's time worked I guess. Not sure if she is going to earn a place on Team Karen or not, I think giving her one more try is in order but if the second visit is like the first then I won't go back again. I have enough trouble with feeling like I am a hypochondriac whining to Doc as much as I do and often allow my condition to get really bad before I cave and call him, and like many people I have insecurity issues that cause me to feel that I am a waste of his time (he does NOT make me feel this way). It has taken me quite awhile to realize this and I have been trying to overcome it since it is not healthy to let things go as much as I do, but having a professional practically tell me I am a waste of time does not help.

Anyway, back on topic, I bought the chocolate soymilk drink and left the library. This time I messed up, I glanced back at the poster that amused me earlier and one of the voter registration kids caught me. I quickly told her I already registered and intend to vote but thanks and she threw back a request that I volunteer to help them out, even if for only an hour. I told her sorry but I can't, need to be back in the lab and then I walked away as quick as possible. I am so not standing outside in the freezing cold to try and con idiot children to vote, I figure that if someone is not registered at this point that they have no intention of doing so and that is their choice, besides they are either informed and hate all the candidates or not informed and I don't like the idea of them voting anyway if that is the case. After making it out of that area I took my drink back to my office and made a video for your enjoyment, I think this is the first time I have ever drank soymilk, I've tried a few soy products but not that. Note I did not go to the campus book store, I have no idea why I said that since I am boycotting them and have been boycotting them for a year (they screwed me over). I was too lazy to redo it and besides my camera was running low on battery so it may not have been able to take another video. So here you go, my first soymilk experience and a product review on it.




~~~~~Copy LiteralDan Section~~~~~
*I am a picky eater in general but with my stomach issues I have become extremely picky since I have trouble digesting and can have a food "haunt" me for many hours. The food looked fresh and perfectly edible if it didn't contain nasty (by my definition) ingredients.
**What Doc says goes in the end, he lets me have input (awesome!) and he will let me get away with stuff as long as it won't hurt me so it is kinda like getting my own way and makes me feel more in control of my issues (which some days I totally need). If Doc says I am going to the GI then I am going to the GI, I try and convince him not to send me because I don't like the idea of it and I hated the last doc he sent me to (wrist doc). It is all his fault, if he wasn't so perfectly suited to my personality and the best doctor ever then I would not be quite as reluctant to see someone else. Another factor is the thought of cameras being shoved everywhere and it costing me who knows how much to run worthless tests (I have insurance but it is best for clinic visits). I find the whole thing kinda scary, especially if Doc "gives up" on me, psychologically I kind of see it as if he lets me get away with my crap that means I am not as sick.

10 comments:

Mike Marshall said...

You are so freaking cute! Your voice surprised me.......don't know what I was expecting. Soy protein drink.......yuk. I hope you make more videos. Peace, Mike.

Ed (zoesdad) said...

An inspirational product endorsement if I have ever seen one. I think though, based on your facial expressions that I won't be trying soy based protein drinks any time soon.

The Microblogologist said...

Mike: Thanks, lol. This is actually the third video of me on this blog, the other two are of me "demonstrating" some lab techniques and my squeaky voice is featured in both of them as well ;). This by far is the funniest of my videos and I do intend to make more of both this type and the other. Glad you enjoyed it!

Ed: It wasn't too bad, I got more used to the "after taste" as I continued to drink it. My verdict on this particular drink is that the potential health benefits outweigh the after flavor for me and I likely will buy it again. People who aren't struggling to get all the nutrition their body needs might not deem it worth the taste. What was way funnier than this vid of me trying soy was this activity my boss did with some local jr high kids, we had them try a whole bunch of soy products and watching their reactions was beyond hilarious!

nonna said...

i must say i agree with mike and ed. your voice is totally not what i heard in my head while reading your blogs, and by your facial expressions i am definately not even tempted to try soy protein drinks. course i am totally addicted to REAL milk and shudder at the words skim milk, powdered milk, or any other horrible, vile form of adulterated milk.

Anonymous said...

I totally just had a barium sulfate flashback. Thanks, by the way! I thought that chapter of my life was over. ;)

The Microblogologist said...

Nonna: I think trying to compare real milk and soy"milk" is pretty pointless, how can beans compete with cow juice?! I try to think of it as something entirely different and definitely not something I would be willing to use in the place of real milk. There are usually two gallons of milk at all times in my fridge, one plain and one chocolate. I like 2%, skim is vile, I've never actually tried powdered milk, I've used it in the lab but it was definitely not for drinking.

NukeDad: I think that the soy was very likely way better than the barium sulfate! It was drinkable enough for me to go buy another bottle the other day, would you have willingly got and drank another bottle of your "yummy" berry drink? Oh I so hope that I don't have to do that if I do get stuck going to the GI doc!

WeaselMomma said...

funny stuff. I especially enjoyed the Pinky and the Brain reference. Mr. Weasel likes your Burka pic.
I so have a few pics for your contest, if it's not too late. email me at weaselmomma@yahoo.com

The Microblogologist said...

Barb: Totally couldn't resist the reference, they were my favorite on that show growing up, I totally empathized with the Brain ;)! That is so not a burka, I wonder if burkas are warm though... There will be a blog post about the ice age that is starting to hit that will feature my growing collection of weapons in my epic battle against my arch nemesis Winter. Hmmm, I wonder if Winter hired the Contamination Fairy as a hitman...

Deb said...

You are WAY too adorable. I enjoyed the mystery of your avatar photo, and now I'm not sure I'll ever read you quite the same way again. It will be like "same ol' brilliant biologist writing" but "hottie lab wonk talking and thinking". Oh, the dichotomy! My brain!

The Microblogologist said...

Haha, thanks Deb! There are much hotter scientists than me running around here, I actually can't think of anyone who fits the old school stereotype of what a nerd is supposed to look like. That would make a cool post if it weren't for privacy issues.